Curiosity Daily Podcast: Disgusting Sights Literally Turn Your Stomach
Learn about how disgusting sights literally turn your stomach; and why tattoos are permanent. Then, play along at home as we test your podcast knowledge in this month’s edition of the Curiosity Challenge trivia game.
January 15, 2021
Episode Show Notes:
Disgusting sights literally turn your stomach by Cameron Duke
- Nord, C. L., Dalmaijer, E. S., Armstrong, T., Baker, K., & Dalgleish, T. (2020). A Causal Role for Gastric Rhythm in Human Disgust Avoidance. Current Biology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2020.10.087
- Rhythm and bleughs: changes in our stomach’s rhythms steer us away from disgusting sights. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-11/uoc-rab112320.php
Why are tattoos permanent? by Cameron Duke
- Baranska, A., Shawket, A., Jouve, M., Baratin, M., Malosse, C., Voluzan, O., Vu Manh, T.-P., Fiore, F., Bajénoff, M., Benaroch, P., Dalod, M., Malissen, M., Henri, S., & Malissen, B. (2018). Unveiling skin macrophage dynamics explains both tattoo persistence and strenuous removal. Journal of Experimental Medicine, 215(4), 1115–1133. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.20171608
- How wounds heal: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. (2017). Medlineplus.gov. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000741.htm
- Specktor, B. (2018, March 6). Tattoos Last Forever Because Your Immune Cells Are Hungry for Dead Skin. Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/61932-why-tattoos-last.html
Episodes referenced in the Curiosity Challenge trivia game:
- Battery-powered airplanes: https://www.curiositydaily.com/why-dont-we-have-battery-powered-airplanes/
- Smacking electronics: https://www.curiositydaily.com/why-its-relaxing-to-breathe-in-through-your-nose/
- Cream in coffee: https://www.curiositydaily.com/why-you-need-self-compassion-for-self-improvement/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Multitasking Keeps You Snacking
Learn about how rats might not have been all to blame for the bubonic plagues and why we’re more prone to mindlessly eat while we multitask.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Hollywood Gets Seances Wrong
Learn about how bacteria in your gut can produce electricity. Then, performer and lecturer Thom Britton will tell us about the origins of seances and how Hollywood gets them wrong.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Some Viruses Do You Good
Learn about how blind and low-vision gamers have an edge when it comes to certain games, with Cornell University Professor Andrew Campana. Then, learn how some viruses actually protect their hosts; and the shocking solution to the Monty Hall Problem, an infamous brain teaser that may leave you questioning your math skills.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: 5G Might Impair Weather Forecasts
Learn about how 5G may impair weather forecasts, and how the first confirmed exoplanet was discovered a lot more recently than you may realize. Plus, science writer John Tierney is back to explore how negativity bias affects our relationships.