Curiosity Daily Podcast: Drink = Brain Shrink, Secret Tree Species, L.H.C. Round 3
Today, you’ll learn about how a single drink a day can add years to the age of your brain, how scientists figured out that thousands of tree species are yet to be discovered, and how the world’s biggest and best particle accelerator is powering up for its third run.
Episode show notes:
A drink away does not keep the doctor away.
- “Just One Beer or Glass of Wine a Day may Cause Your Brain to Shrink, Study Suggests” by Mike Snider
- “Just One Extra Drink a Day may Change the Brain” by Tara Haelle
- “It’s Time to Rethink How Much Booze May be too Much” by Julia Belluz
- “The ‘French Paradox’ Turned out to be an Illusion, but it led to some Interesting research” by Emma Wightman
No, that tree is not the same as that other one.
- “Earth May Have 9,200 More Tree Species Than Previously Thought” by Jude Coleman
- “How Much Space Does Nature Need? 30 Percent of the Planet May Not be Enough” by Jonathan Lambert
- “Thousands of Tree Species Remain Undiscovered, Say Scientists” by Lucy Sherriff
Imagine two needles smashing into each other.
- “Large Hadron Collider is waking up after a 3-year nap, and it could help explain why the universe exists.” by Mara Johnson-Groh
- “CERN’s particle accelerator starts up after a three-year hiatus” by Nicole Wetsman
- “The Large Hadron Collider is about to turn back on after a 3-year hiatus” by Chelsea Gohd
- “The Large Hadron Collider” by CERN
- AT&T’s Internet Data Calculator
- “Standard Model” by Wikipedia
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.