Episode Show Notes:
Treadmills were originally torture devices by Steffie Drucker
- Protin, C., & Stuart, M. (2017, April 13). Treadmills were originally used as torture devices for prisoners. Business Insider; Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/treadmills-torture-device-prisoners-treadwheel-victorian-britian-crime-prison-2017-4
- Treadmills Were Meant to Be Atonement Machines | JSTOR Daily. (2018, May 2). JSTOR Daily. https://daily.jstor.org/treadmills-were-meant-to-be-atonement-machines/
- The National Archives. (2021). A Victorian prison - The National Archives. The National Archives. https://doi.org/https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm
- BBC. (2017, January 9). Free Thinking - The dark history of the treadmill. BBC; BBC. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4w8bVrKRqQDP4fKl0b8XzdW/the-dark-history-of-the-treadmill
- The Torturous History of the Treadmill. (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/history-of-the-treadmill/
Additional resources from Melanie Peffer:
- Pick up "Biology Everywhere: How the Science of Life Matters to Everyday Life" from Amazon: https://amzn.to/3wQQVOA
- Melanie's TED-Ed lesson on the neuroscience discoveries of artist Santiago Ramón y Cajal: https://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-artist-who-won-a-nobel-prize-in-medicine-melanie-e-peffer
- Melanie Peffer's website: https://www.melaniepeffer.com/
- Melanie Peffer on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Melanie_Peffer
- Melanie Peffer on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MelaniePefferPhD
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free! You can also listen to our show as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: People Respond to Music Even When They Can’t Hear It
Learn about why you can have an emotional reaction to music even when it’s not being played; how people have been performing brain surgery for thousands of years; and why some bathroom light switches are outside the room.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: New Human Species, Digital Library of Babel, Running to Music
Learn about two newly discovered ancient human species; the Digital Library of Babel; and benefits of running to music.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Clean Your Phone, More Info About a New Disease Won’t Comfort You, and the Best Workout Music According to Research
Learn about how to choose the best music for your workout playlist; why learning more about a new disease like coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) won’t comfort you; and how to clean your phone.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Multitasking Keeps You Snacking
Learn about how rats might not have been all to blame for the bubonic plagues and why we’re more prone to mindlessly eat while we multitask.