Additional resources from Bill Nye:
- Official website https://billnye.com/
- Bill Nye’s podcast, Science Rules! https://www.askbillnye.com/
- Pick up “Bill Nye’s Great Big World of Science” on Amazon https://amzn.to/3u8iKQi
- “Everything All at Once: How to Think Like a Science Guy, Solve Any Problem, and Make a Better World” on Amazon https://amzn.to/3whsk5j
- Follow @BillNye on Twitter https://twitter.com/BillNye
This frog has noise-canceling lungs by Cameron Duke
- Lee, N., Christensen-Dalsgaard, J., White, L. A., Schrode, K. M., & Bee, M. A. (2021). Lung Mediated Auditory Contrast Enhancement Improves the Signal-to-Noise Ratio for Communication in Frogs. Current Biology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2021.01.048
- This frog has lungs that act like noise-canceling headphones. (2021). ScienceDaily. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210304145430.htm
Why your stomach growls when you’re hungry by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Safin in Lisbon, Portugal)
- Why does your stomach growl when you are hungry? (2002, January 21). Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-your-stomach-gro/
- What Makes Your Stomach Growl? (2020, February 12). Wonderopolis.org. https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/what-makes-your-stomach-growl
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Change Minds (w/ Bill Nye)
Learn about why quitting smoking is good for your mental health, too; and why it’s possible to practice too much. We’ll also answer a listener question about how to get people to believe science, with some help from a special guest, Bill Nye.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Scientists Finally Know How Sandcastles Work
Learn about why we still don’t know how eels reproduce and how scientists solved a 150-year-old question about how sandcastles hold together.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Natural Disasters Have Transformed How Scientists Communicate
People have relied on scientists for answers to some pretty big questions, and natural disasters are no exception. But when people don't like those answers, how are scientists supposed to communicate with the public? In this episode, seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones discusses the disconnect between disasters, psychology, and science communication, and helps us understand how to handle inconvenient truths in a healthy way.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A Science-Backed Workout in 10 Minutes, How Collective Narcissism Makes Groups Toxic, and How Dolphins Make Friends
Learn about how you can slash your exercise time with high-intensity interval training (HIIT) — and the science that backs it up; how “collective narcissism” can make groups toxic; and how dolphins make friends strategically.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Blowhole Origins, Weather Manipulation, How to Slow Aging
Learn about how brushing your teeth can slow aging; how blowholes start as noses; and how humans manipulate the weather.
Butterfly Effect, How to Cry at Work, Eggcorns in Language
Learn about the butterfly effect; why language mistakes called “eggcorns” still make sense; and tips for crying at work.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Your Roommate Really Doesn’t Know How You’re Feeling
Learn about how lightning strikes led to life on Earth; the self-control of cuttlefish; and your roommate’s feelings.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: We Still Don’t Know How Ice Skating Works
Learn about how social connection may be as basic of a human need as hunger; the ongoing scientific debate around how ice skating actually works; and the Uberman sleep cycle, a polyphasic sleep schedule that was allegedly used by Leonardo da Vinci and Nikola Tesla.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Make Gatherings More Meaningful (w/ Priya Parker)
Author Priya Parker explains how you can make your next gathering more meaningful. But first, you’ll learn about TRPC1, a molecule that promotes muscle health when it’s magnetized.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Prepare for a Warmer Future (w/ David Pogue)
Bestselling author and CBS news correspondent David Pogue discusses why preparing for climate change is just as important as fighting it, with. Then, you’ll learn why you can make someone less defensive by making them feel validated