Episode Show Notes:
Curiosity Daily is a finalist in the 2020 Discover Pods Awards, and we need your vote to win! Please vote for Curiosity Daily for Best Technology & Science Podcast via the link below. It's free and only takes a minute. Thanks so much! https://awards.discoverpods.com/vote/
Two new bird-brain studies show why birds are so smart by Grant Currin
- Ackerman, J. (2016). The Genius of Birds. United States: Penguin Publishing Group.
- Tracing cerebral cortex evolution. (2018). Max-Planck-Gesellschaft; www.MPG.de. https://www.mpg.de/12027342/molecular-atlas-reptile-brain
- Suzana Herculano-Houzel. (2020). Birds do have a brain cortex—and think. Science, 369(6511), 1567–1568. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abe0536
- Stacho, M., Herold, C., Rook, N., Hermann Wagner, Axer, M., Katrin Amunts, & Onur Güntürkün. (2020). A cortex-like canonical circuit in the avian forebrain. Science, 369(6511). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abc5534
- Nieder, A., Lysann Wagener, & Rinnert, P. (2020). A neural correlate of sensory consciousness in a corvid bird. Science, 369(6511), 1626–1629. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abb1447
Additional resources from science writer John Tierney:
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.