Episode Show Notes:
Dogs act jealous of their owner's attention to other dogs even when they can't see the dog by Steffie Drucker
- Dogs act jealously even when they don’t see their rival. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-04/afps-daj040821.php
- Bastos, A. P. M., Neilands, P. D., Hassall, R. S., Lim, B. C., & Taylor, A. H. (2021). Dogs Mentally Represent Jealousy-Inducing Social Interactions. Psychological Science, 095679762097914. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797620979149
- Coren, S. (2017, January 19). Do Dogs Feel Jealousy or Envy? American Kennel Club; American Kennel Club. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/do-dogs-feel-jealousy-or-envy/
Physical activity for leisure is good for your health, but physical activity on the job is not by Kelsey Donk
- Leisure physical activity is linked with health benefits but work activity is not. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-04/esoc-lpa040721.php
- Holtermann, A., Schnohr, P., Nordestgaard, B. G., & Marott, J. L. (2021). The physical activity paradox in cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality: the contemporary Copenhagen General Population Study with 104 046 adults. European Heart Journal, 42(15), 1499–1511. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehab087
Why do our fingers get pruney in water but not our mouths? by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Ethan in Ithaca)
- Summers, B. (2013). Science gets a grip on wrinkly fingers. Nature. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature.2013.12175
- Yong, E. (2011). Pruney fingers grip better. Nature. https://doi.org/10.1038/news.2011.388
- Water-induced finger wrinkles improve handling of wet objects | Biology Letters. (2013). Biology Letters. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsbl.2012.0999
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Should You Exercise on an Empty Stomach?
Bestselling author and CBS news correspondent David Pogue explains why climate change is leading to more kidney stones and bar fights. Then, learn about the “doorway effect” when you forget why you walked into a room; and whether you should exercise on an empty stomach.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Hubble Telescope History, Selfie Science, and Exercise Myths
Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Daddy Longlegs, Dyson Spheres, and Exercising with a Partner
Learn about why daddy longlegs aren’t dangerous; the theoretical Dyson Sphere; and benefits of exercising with a partner.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Daddy Longlegs Myths, Dyson Spheres, and Benefits of Exercising with a Partner
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: When to Kill Spiders, How to Exercise when Depressed, and Strange Food Origins
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Contagious Yawning, Conformal Cyclic Cosmology, Exercising for Mental Health, and Why Glitches Are “Bugs”
Learn about a controversial theory that says our universe is one of many previous universes; why we call computer glitches “bugs”; and the largest study ever showing how much exercise you need to boost your mental health. We’ll also answer the question: is yawning contagious?
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Focus on the Ending, How to Deal with Impostor Syndrome, and Sit Less or Exercise More?
Learn about the best way to deal with impostor syndrome; whether it’s more important to sit less or exercise more; and why the peak end rules says experiences are all about the ending.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Burning Calories without Exercise, Amelia Earhart’s Last Words, and Bob Dylan and David Bowie’s Writing Technique
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Exercising for Body Image, Ideal Deadlines, Longer Days from Climate Change
Learn about how a 30-minute workout can boost your body image; the ideal deadline to avoid procrastination; and how climate change could make the day longer.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A New Way to Build Habits (w/ Dr. BJ Fogg) and the Best Time of Day to Exercise
Stanford behavior scientist Dr. BJ Fogg explains new research into how you can pick new habits you’ll actually stick with. Then, you’ll learn about the best time of day to exercise.