Episode Show Notes:
Mystical experiences might be key to the power of psychedelic therapy -- but they're really hard to study by Grant Currin
- Natan Ponieman. (2021, October 12). How Science Is Making Sense Of The Mystical Experience In Psychedelic Medicine. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/natanponieman/2021/10/01/how-is-science-making-sense-of-the-mystical-experience-in-psychedelic-medicine/?sh=6e0166623b7b
- Natan Ponieman. (2021, October 12). Is Mysticism Becoming A Problem For Psychedelic Medicine? Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/natanponieman/2021/10/12/is-mysticism-becoming-a-problem-for-psychedelic-medicine/?sh=6c502c6448a4
- Wighton, K. (2016, April 11). The brain on LSD revealed: first scans show how the drug affects the brain. Imperial College London. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/171699/the-brain-lsd-revealed-first-scans/
- Barrett, F. S., Johnson, M. W., & Griffiths, R. R. (2015). Validation of the revised Mystical Experience Questionnaire in experimental sessions with psilocybin. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 29(11), 1182–1190. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269881115609019
Scientists made the most precise measurement of a neutron's lifetime by Briana Brownell
- Physicists lead world’s most precise measurement of neutron lifetime. (2021, October 13). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/931482
- Gonzalez, F. M., Fries, E. M., Cude-Woods, C., Bailey, T., Blatnik, M., Broussard, L. J., Callahan, N. B., Choi, J. H., Clayton, S. M., Currie, S. A., Dawid, M., Dees, E. B., Filippone, B. W., Fox, W., Geltenbort, P., George, E., Hayen, L., Hickerson, K. P., Hoffbauer, M. A., & Hoffman, K. (2021). Improved Neutron Lifetime Measurement with UCNτ. Physical Review Letters, 127(16). https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.127.162501
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Operated by Los Alamos National Security, LLC, for the U.S. Department of Energy. (2021). Ultracold Neutrons. Lanl.gov. https://lansce.lanl.gov/facilities/ultracold-neutrons/index.php
- The Mystery of the Neutron Lifetime. (2020). Energy.gov. https://www.energy.gov/science/articles/mystery-neutron-lifetime
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Is Water Wet? Plus: Neutron Star Weight and A Trick to Keep Experiences Feeling Fresh and New
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Vampire Bats Adopt Babies Too
Learn about why engineers tested a temporary “smart tattoo” that emits light via OLEDs; a female vampire bat that adopted her best friend’s baby after the friend’s death; and how you can sharpen your mind with device-free quiet time.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why April Fool’s Day Exists
Learn about what the “frenemy effect” can teach us about bullying; the surprising ability of marmosets to eavesdrop on each others’ conversations; and why April Fool’s Day may have originated from an out-of-date calendar.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Single-A Batteries Exist?
Learn about whether there’s such a thing as “single A” batteries; 5 surprising ways volunteering improves your physical health; and how duckbill dinosaurs may have crossed an ocean to reach Africa.