Episode Show Notes:
We're going back to Venus. Here are the missions to look forward to by Briana Brownell
- NASA Selects 2 Missions to Study “Lost Habitable” World of Venus. (2018). NASA. https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-selects-2-missions-to-study-lost-habitable-world-of-venus
- ESA selects revolutionary Venus mission EnVision. (2021). Esa.int. https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/ESA_selects_revolutionary_Venus_mission_EnVision
- Castro, J. (2015, February 3). What Would It Be Like to Live on Venus? Space.com; Space. https://www.space.com/28357-how-to-live-on-venus.html
- Goettel, K. A.; Shields, J. A.; Decker, D. A. (16–20 March 1981). "Density constraints on the composition of Venus". Proceedings of the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Houston, TX: Pergamon Press. pp. 1507–1516. Bibcode:1982LPSC...12.1507G.
- Howell, E. (2019, March 25). Venera 13 and the Mission to Reach Venus. Space.com; Space. https://www.space.com/18551-venera-13.html
- Howell, E. (2020, September 18). Here’s every successful Venus mission humanity has ever launched. Space.com; Space. https://www.space.com/venus-mission-success-history
You can extract DNA from strawberries in your kitchen by Cameron Duke
- RK Pendergrass. (2021, April 21). How to extract DNA from strawberries | Popular Science. Popular Science. https://www.popsci.com/story/diy/diy-science-project-strawberrry-dna/
- Science Buddies. (2013, January 31). Squishy Science: Extract DNA from Smashed Strawberries. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/squishy-science-extract-dna-from-smashed-strawberries/
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Stinky Science of the World’s Smelliest Fruit
Learn about the shocking prevalence of torture scenes in movies; why durian, the world’s smelliest fruit, smells so bad; and where mold comes from.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Nudge Theory’s Dark Side (w/ Richard Thaler), Hybrid Fruit Science, Words for “Pirate”
Learn about how to avoid getting dragged down by “Sludge”; how hybrid fruit like plumcots are made; and pirate parlance.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Tap into the 4 Pillars of Learning (w/ Stanislas Dehaene) and How We Get Seedless Fruit
Renowned cognitive neuroscientist Stanislas Dehaene explains how you can learn new things by tapping into the four pillars of learning. But first, you’ll learn about how we get seedless fruit.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Alibi Memory, Denisova Cave History, Cleaning Fruit & Veggies
Learn how often people misremember alibis; new lessons from Denisova Cave; and how to remove pesticides from produce.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Cooked vs. Uncooked Fruits and Veggies (w/ The Nutrition Wonk), Food Poisoning Facts, and Milky Way’s Second Life
Learn where food poisoning comes from (and how to avoid it); why we’re in the Milky Way’s second life.; and whether fruits and vegetables are healthier when they’re fresh or frozen.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Pollen Is Not Actually Plant Sperm
Learn why your mom calls you your sibling’s name; why pollen isn’t just plant sperm; and what really causes sore muscles.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How a Plant Gene Ended Up in an Insect’s DNA
Learn about “brain fog” in menopause; NASA’s patent prevalence; and a plant gene found in an insect for the first time.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Emoji Around the World (w/ Gretchen McCulloch) and Plants May Have a Sense of Sight
Learn about how some plants may have a sense of sight. Then, learn about how emoji reflect cultural differences around the world, in the final edition of our “Hashtag Tuesdays” mini-series with internet linguist Gretchen McCulloch.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Improve Your Self-Control, Why You Shouldn’t Touch Your Plants, and Firehawk Raptors
Learn about whether you can improve your self-control; why certain types of birds set fires on purpose; and why you shouldn’t touch your plants.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Sunless Tanners, The Most Poisonous Plant on Earth, and How Steve Jobs Faked the First iPhone
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes: