Curiosity Daily Podcast: Shoo Shoes!, Murmuration Information, Nanoplastic Particles
Today, you’ll learn about why it's best to leave your shoes at the door when you come inside, how animals form and maintain their mesmerizing murmurations, and how certain food storage products release sub-microscopic, plastic particles when exposed to hot water.
Episode show notes:
Your mom was right about taking your shoes off inside.
- “The science is in: wearing shoes inside your home is just plain gross” by Mark Patrick Taylor and Gabriel Filippelli
- “Scientists Discover Why You Should Take Off Your Shoes Before Entering Your Home” by Robert Locke
- “Should You Take Your Shoes Off While Indoors?” by Ally Spier
Murmurations not murmuring.
- “The Secrets and Science Behind Starling Murmurations” by John Donovan
- “Gazing at the “Black Sun”: The Transfixing Beauty of Starling Murmurations” by Søren Solkær
- “Swarm Robotics Promises to Boost Diagnostics, Treat Cancer” by Inga Shugalo
The tiny side of plastic.
- “Your Take-Out Coffee Cup May Shed Trillions of Plastic 'Nanoparticles'” By Dennis Thompson
- “NIST Study Shows Everyday Plastic Products Release Trillions of Microscopic Particles Into Water” By NIST
- “What are microplastics?” by The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.