Episode Show Notes:
Learn about how stress during pregnancy can affect a newborn’s sex; skipping stone physics in space; and overspending.
Stress can make a pregnant person twice as likely to have a girl by Grant Currin
- Beres, D. (2021, April 13). Stressed-out mothers are twice as likely to give birth to a girl. Big Think; Big Think. https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/stress-pregnancy
- Romero-Gonzalez, B., Puertas-Gonzalez, J. A., Gonzalez-Perez, R., Davila, M., & Peralta-Ramirez, M. I. (2021). Hair cortisol levels in pregnancy as a possible determinant of fetal sex: a longitudinal study. Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1017/s2040174420001300
Scientists have shed light on the physics of skipping stones to make landing spacecraft safer by Briana Brownell
- Tang, J., Zhao, K., Chen, H., & Cao, D. (2021). Trajectory and attitude study of a skipping stone. Physics of Fluids, 33(4), 043316. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0040158
- Stone skipping techniques can improve reentry of space vehicles. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-04/aiop-sst041521.php
- Advanced Aerospace Medicine On-line. (2018, April 11). FAA.gov.
- Lovell, J., Kluger, J. (1994). Apollo 13. Houghton Mifflin.
- C. Clanet, F. Hersen, and L. Bocquet, “ Secrets of successful stone-skipping,” Nature 427, 29–29 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1038/427029a
To Avoid Overspending, Think of Money as Hours of Your Life originally aired September 26, 2018 https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/gardening-with-martian-soil-how-to-stop-overspendi
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Parents & Screens, BFFs Smell the Same, Locusts Find Cancer
We discuss how digital media affects parents and caregivers, how friends often have similar body odor, and the cancer-sniffing abilities of locusts.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Emily Oster on Parenting Decisions, A New Type of Supernova
Learn how parents can get smarter about making big decisions, with author Emily Oster; and electron-capture supernovas.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Be the Best Host or Guest (w/ Jihan Murray-Smith), Avoid Conflict at Family Meals, and High Heels for Men
Learn about how to avoid conflict at family meals, and why high heels were originally meant for men. Plus, get some tips on how to host and be a polite guest from etiquette expert Jihan Murray-Smith — just in time for the holidays!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Insecure People Use More Jargon
Learn about how naked mole-rats invade neighboring colonies and steal babies, the average person is hiding 13 secrets, and people use more jargon when they're insecure about their status.