Episode Show Notes:
You’re invited to join Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer for a special live stream celebration to commemorate the release of Curiosity Daily’s 1,000th episode next week! Register for free here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/curiosity-dailys-1000th-episode-celebration-tickets-191163133077
People synchronize their heart rates when listening to a story, even when they're in different places by Grant Currin
- When Choirs Sing, Many Hearts Beat As One. (2013, July 10). NPR.org. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/07/09/200390454/when-choirs-sing-many-hearts-beat-as-one
- UCL. (2017, November 17). Audience members’ hearts beat together at the theatre. UCL Psychology and Language Sciences. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/news/2017/nov/audience-members-hearts-beat-together-theatre
- Pérez, P., Madsen, J., Banellis, L., Türker, B., Raimondo, F., Perlbarg, V., Valente, M., Niérat, M.-C., Puybasset, L., Naccache, L., Similowski, T., Cruse, D., Parra, L. C., & Sitt, J. D. (2021). Conscious processing of narrative stimuli synchronizes heart rate between individuals. Cell Reports, 36(11), 109692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2021.109692
- Tibi Puiu. (2021, September 14). Our heart rates synchronize when closely listening to the same stories. ZME Science; ZME Science. https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/mind-and-brain/our-heart-rates-synchronize-when-closely-listening-to-the-same-stories/
- The Project Gutenberg E-text of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (slightly abridged), by Jules Verne. (2016). Gutenberg.org. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/164/164-h/164-h.htm
Vampire bats meet up with friends for lunch by Grant Currin
- Vampire bats may coordinate with “friends” over a bite to eat. (2021, September 23). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/928884
- Ripperger, S. P., & Carter, G. G. (2021). Social foraging in vampire bats is predicted by long-term cooperative relationships. PLOS Biology, 19(9), e3001366. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.3001366
- Spivack, E. (2021, September 28). Vampire bats rendezvous with their friends when dining out. Popular Science. https://www.popsci.com/animals/vampire-bats-eat-together/
- Vampire bat adoption episode: https://www.curiositydaily.com/vampire-bats-adopt-babies-too/
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.