Episode Show Notes:
Speed listening’s effects on emotion by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from S.P.)
- Rousseau, S. (2020, January 24). I Tried Listening to Podcasts at 3x and Broke My Brain. Medium; OneZero. https://onezero.medium.com/i-tried-listening-to-podcasts-at-3x-and-broke-my-brain-d8823edecb7c
- Liebenthal, E., Silbersweig, D. A., & Stern, E. (2016). The Language, Tone and Prosody of Emotions: Neural Substrates and Dynamics of Spoken-Word Emotion Perception. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 10. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2016.00506
- Murray, I. R., & Arnott, J. L. (1993). Toward the simulation of emotion in synthetic speech: A review of the literature on human vocal emotion. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 93(2), 1097–1108. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.405558
- Philippou-Hubner, D., Vlasenko, B., Bock, R., & Wendemuth, A. (2012). The Performance of the Speaking Rate Parameter in Emotion Recognition from Speech. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo. https://doi.org/10.1109/icme.2012.183
- Kraxenberger, M., Menninghaus, W., Roth, A., & Scharinger, M. (2018). Prosody-Based Sound-Emotion Associations in Poetry. Frontiers in Psychology, 9. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01284
The health differences between white and brown rice are dead even by Steffie Drucker
- Whelan, C. (2017, May 25). Brown Rice vs. White Rice: Which Is Better for You? Healthline; Healthline Media. https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/brown-rice-vs-white-rice
- Allan, P. (2020, February 19). Is Brown Rice Really That Much Healthier Than White Rice? Lifehacker. https://lifehacker.com/is-brown-rice-really-that-much-healthier-than-white-ric-1820044994
- Parletta, N. (2018, December 5). Rice is a major source of arsenic exposure. Cosmos Magazine. https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/rice-is-a-major-source-of-arsenic-exposure
Pi Was Once Almost Legally Changed to 3.2 by Ashley Hamer: https://curiosity.com/topics/happy-pi-day-how-pi-was-almost-legally-changed-to-32-curiosity
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://curiosity.im/podcast-flash-briefing
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Speed Listening’s Effects on Emotion, Surprising Differences Between White and Brown Rice, and Pi Almost Legally Changed to 3.2
Learn about how speed listening to podcasts (or "podfasting") affects our emotions; the health differences between white and brown rice; and the time pi was once almost legally changed to 3.2.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Best Time to Make a Gut Decision (w/ Annie Duke)
Learn about why gynandromorphs are born half male and half female. Then, we’ll talk to poker champion turned decision strategist Annie Duke about when it’s best to go with your gut.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Adjusting to Time Changes, Saving Jungles, Spiky Ice Cubes
Learn about how quickly certain people adjust to time changes; how you can help slow jungle loss; and why ice cubes grow spikes.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Cherenkov Radiation, How to Be More Extroverted, and Changing Your Perception of Time
Learn about how introverts can be happier by tapping into the powers of extroverts; how something can produce Cherenkov radiation by going faster than the speed of light; and, how the language you speak changes your perception of time.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Best Time to Break Bad News, Overcome Loss Aversion, and Coin Tosses Aren’t Random
Learn about the best time of day to break bad news; how to get over your brain’s habit of loss aversion; and why a coin toss is not as random or fair as it seems.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Universe Might Expand Unevenly, Using a Camera to De-Clutter Your House, and 3 Hominins Lived in the Same Place and Time
Learn about a surprising tip for de-cluttering your house; 3 extinct relatives of humans that lived in the same place and time; and why the possibility that the universe might not be expanding at the same rate everywhere is a huge deal.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.