Additional resources from Priya Parker:
- Pick up “The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters” on Amazon: https://amzn.to/38sYHUN
- Listen to Priya Parker’s New York Times Podcast “Together Apart”: https://www.nytimes.com/column/together-apart
- Website: https://www.priyaparker.com/
- Priya Parker on Twitter: https://twitter.com/priyaparker
- Priya Parker on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Priya-Parker-2108847152464229/
Bilinguals feel more pain in the language of their stronger cultural identity by Kelsey Donk
- Does your pain feel different in English and Spanish? (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-11/uom-dyp113020.php
- Gianola, M., Llabre, M. M., & Losin, E. A. R. (2020). Effects of Language Context and Cultural Identity on the Pain Experience of Spanish–English Bilinguals. Affective Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42761-020-00021-x
The World’s Largest Waterfall Isn’t What You’d Think by Mike Epifani
- World Waterfall Database. (2018). Worldwaterfalldatabase.com. https://www.worldwaterfalldatabase.com/
- Jennings, K. (2012, November 26). Ken Jennings Finds the Biggest Waterfall in the World. Condé Nast Traveler; Condé Nast Traveler. https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2012-11-26/underwater-waterfall-denmark-strait-maphead-ken-jennings
- Wilcox, C. (2013, August 23). 16 Things BuzzFeed Doesn’t Know About The Ocean. Discover Magazine; Discover Magazine. https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/16-things-buzzfeed-doesnt-know-about-the-ocean
- See How Antarctica’s Hidden Water Drives The World’s Oceans. (2015). Popular Science. https://www.popsci.com/meet-super-salty-dense-water-that-surrounds-antarctica/
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why You Need a Virtual Commute
Learn about why remote workers need a "virtual commute," what happened when scientists tried growing prehistoric-sized insects, and how the solar system has not one, but two alignment planes.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Big Mistakes We Make in Virtual Gatherings (w/ Priya Parker)
Author Priya Parker explains how to fix the biggest mistakes you’re making in your virtual gatherings. Plus: learn about how language can affect the amount of pain a bilingual person experiences; and why the world’s largest waterfall probably isn’t what you think it is.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Oldest Kids in Class Are Also the Most Popular
Learn why older classmates are more popular; how some invasive species help their ecosystems; and keyboard cleaning tips.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Biological Race Is a Myth (w/ Agustín Fuentes)
Princeton University Anthropology Professor Agustín Fuentes explains why race is a social construct — as in, biological race isn’t real. Then, learn how plants pass down “bad” memories to their offspring through epigenetics.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why We Always Forget that Less Is More (w/ Leidy Klotz)
Learn how human hair can improve solar panels and why people tend to add, not subtract, when trying to improve something.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Project Blue Book, Cooking Hacks Using Chemistry, and “Sea Nomads”
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: World of Warcraft Could Help Fight COVID-19, Social Rejection Can Fuel Creativity, and What Mouse Facial Expressions Teach Us About Emotion
Learn about how studying World of Warcraft helped researchers learn how to respond to the coronavirus pandemic; how scientists described mouse facial expressions for the first time; and how social rejection can fuel creativity.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Do I Cough When I Clean My Ears?
Learn about how Arnold’s ear-cough reflex can make you cough when you clean your ears; why it’s important to teach your kids about giving when they’re learning about money; and a hidden letter in the alphabet that you already sing.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: COVID-19 Myths and FAQs with Dr. Amesh Adalja, Epidemiologist
Epidemiologist Amesh Adalja answers frequently asked questions about COVID-19 in this special bonus episode. Dr. Adalja is a Senior Scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security, and will help you understand what we know and what we don’t know as of this week.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Bystanders Help More Often Than You Thought, Avoiding Failure, and Cause and Effect Crows
Learn about why bystanders help would-be victims more often than we thought; how you should think about past failures to avoid future failures; and how crows passed an ancient test from Aesop’s Fables.