Episode Show Notes:
4 reasons you feel "Zoom fatigue" and how to get over them, according to Stanford research by Kelsey Donk:
- Stanford Zoom Exhaustion and Fatigue Scale survey: https://comm.stanford.edu/ZEF
- Ramachandran, V. (2021, February 23). Four causes for “Zoom fatigue” and their solutions | Stanford News. Stanford News; Stanford University. https://news.stanford.edu/2021/02/23/four-causes-zoom-fatigue-solutions/
- Bailenson, J. N. (2021). Nonverbal overload: A theoretical argument for the causes of Zoom fatigue. Technology, Mind, and Behavior, 2(1). https://doi.org/10.1037/tmb0000030
Astronomers discover a planet that may be on its second atmosphere by Grant Currin:
- Distant Planet May Be On Its Second Atmosphere, NASA’s Hubble Finds. (2021). NASA. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2021/distant-planet-may-be-on-its-second-atmosphere-nasas-hubble-finds
- Swain, M. R., et. al. (2021). Detection of an Atmosphere on a Rocky Exoplanet. ArXiv.org. https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.05657
Koalas And Humans Have The Same Fingerprints by Anna Todd:
- Wolchover, N. (2011, May 3). Koalas Have Human-like Fingerprints. Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/14007-koalas-human-fingerprints.html
- Alasdair Wilkins. (2011, May 4). Koalas have exactly the same fingerprints as humans. Io9; io9. https://io9.gizmodo.com/koalas-have-exactly-the-same-fingerprints-as-humans-5798400
- Bryce, E. (2019, December 21). Why Do We Have Fingerprints? Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/why-do-humans-have-fingerprints.html#:~:text=Fingers%20and%20friction&text=%22People%20have%20had%20two%20ideas,Hull%20in%20the%20United%20Kingdom.
- Warman, P. H., & Ennos, A. R. (2009). Fingerprints are unlikely to increase the friction of primate fingerpads. Journal of Experimental Biology, 212(13), 2016–2022. https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.028977
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why New Habits Have to Be Tiny (w/ Dr. BJ Fogg) and Why Human Infants Are Late Bloomers
Stanford behavior scientist Dr. BJ Fogg, author of “Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything,” explains why the best new habits are tiny ones. Then, learn why human infants are late bloomers compared to other baby animals.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why You Think You’re Too Smart for Ads, Studying Violinists to Understand Human Synchrony, and Relieving Pain by Holding Hands
Learn about how a phenomenon called the third-person effect makes us think we’re too smart for advertising to work on us, why scientists used violinists to study how humans sync in a complex network, and why you can relieve pain by holding hands!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Octopuses Have Sleep Cycles, Too
Learn about imaginary beams of motion coming from people’s eyes; where lost luggage ends up; and octopus sleep cycles.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Single-A Batteries Exist?
Learn about whether there’s such a thing as “single A” batteries; 5 surprising ways volunteering improves your physical health; and how duckbill dinosaurs may have crossed an ocean to reach Africa.