Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why You Think You’re Too Smart for Ads, Studying Violinists to Understand Human Synchrony, and Relieving Pain by Holding Hands
Learn about how a phenomenon called the third-person effect makes us think we’re too smart for advertising to work on us, why scientists used violinists to study how humans sync in a complex network, and why you can relieve pain by holding hands!
Episode Show Notes:
The Third-Person Effect Is Why We All Think We’re Too Smart for Ad Campaigns by Anna Todd
- Davison, W. P. (1983). The Third-Person Effect in Communication. Public Opinion Quarterly, 47(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.1086/268763
- Third-Person Effect and Pandemic Flu: The Role of Severity, Self-Efficacy Method Mentions, and Message Source. (2016). Journal of Health Communication. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10810730.2016.1245801?journalCode=uhcm20
- The Influence of Presumed Fake News Influence: Examining Public Support for Corporate Corrective Response, Media Literacy Interventions, and Governmental Regulation. (2020). Mass Communication and Society. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15205436.2020.1750656?journalCode=hmcs20
- McLeod, D. M., Eveland, W. P., & Nathanson, A. I. (1997). Support for Censorship of Violent and Misogynic Rap Lyrics. Communication Research, 24(2), 153–174. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365097024002003
Scientists used violinists to study how humans sync in a complex network by Grant Currin
- Elad Shniderman. (2020, August 25). Sync Variations. Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/394199689
- What violin synchronization can teach us about better networking in complex times. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-08/sbu-wvs081120.php
- Shahal, S., Wurzberg, A., Sibony, I., Duadi, H., Shniderman, E., Weymouth, D., Davidson, N., & Fridman, M. (2020). Synchronization of complex human networks. Nature Communications, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-17540-7
- Researchers Study Violinists To Learn How Humans Act in Synchrony. (2020, August 11). Inside Science. https://www.insidescience.org/news/researchers-study-violinists-learn-how-humans-act-synchrony
For an All-Natural Painkiller, Try Holding Your Partner’s Hand by Mae Rice
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.